Friday, August 10, 2007

Thoughts on Horde vs Alliance in AB

I've played in AB on both Alliance and Horde side and there is definately a difference in the player attitudes and cooperation. Much more of a team feel to the Horde side, whereas the Alliance just insult each other. On occasion we get the 'omfg you people sux-l2p!' guy on a Horde team and he is either promptly ignored or told 'this is the Horde side, if you want to just insult people go back to Alliance'. My question is why?

I've given it some thought and have come up with an explanation that may fit at least for my experiences. I play Horde side primarily and I play late at night. My theory is that kids are more drawn to the Alliance side because they want to be 'the good guys'. So there are more kids playing Alliance than Horde. ( I base this primarily on the fact that both my boys play Alliance as do all of their friends for that very reason) Since I play late at night it is highly likely that my team on the Horde side is going to be composed primarily of adults from my time zone (eastern) as the kids are all in bed. Our opponents? The kids just getting home from soccer practice on the west coast and logging onto their Alliance toons for a little PvP action. By the time the west coast adults log in, it is early morning on the east coast. In fact I have noticed a difference when camping a BG for an entire night between 10 pm and 2am--the 2 am Alliance players are almost always better than the 10 pm's. So it is the east coast adults vs the west coast kids. Not so surprising that we win so often...anyone else notice this?

As an aside I also think that the Horde has a slight advantage due to the terrain. At lvl 39 my Druid in Travel form was always able to get to and cap the BS before any Alliance showed up. It is just easier for the Horde to get to BS from the starting gates. So the Horde generally will start with two unresisted caps whereas the Alliance only gets one. Getting to the Mine or the LM seems to be about even, but the BS is definately faster for the Horde. Small difference but it does play a part considering how important the BS is tactically.

No comments: